Saturday, February 5, 2011

No.

How many times have I heard this word everyday? Probably couple times a day. Hundreds of times a week. Thousands in a month. Billions in a lifetime.
To me this isn't just a word. This isn't just an answer. This word is a punishment.
It tells me that I am not good enough . It tells me that I am not worthy. It tells me that my opinion doesn't matter.
I have been told 'no' probably hundreds of thousands of times in my life.
"No, you can't go to the movies with your friends."
"No, you can't watch TV."
"No, you can't stay up after 10."
Yeah people get privileges. I get so few that it feels as if I'm a prisoner in my own home, and even being allowed to watch TV for a couple minutes feels like a reward.
This is absurd. I might be a minor but I sure as hell am mature enough to make my own decisions.
No isn't just a 'no not today honey. maybe next time.' A no is a 'no that's never going to happen because I control every aspect of your life and what I say goes.'
I get punished mentally, physically, and emotionally.
I'm so used to the word 'no' that  I don't even bother asking anymore.
People always wonder why I don't ask to go somewhere with them or why I don't ask to go to parties.
Why? Because I can't. I know I can't.
Their fear of the world has consumed their thoughts. Their paranoia has consumed my life.
I've been shut down so many times my self esteem has been degraded to a paperthin existence.
The word 'no' has been so engrained into my life that I doubt my very existence.
I often question  myself if I'm ever going to be seen as a human in their eyes.
We learned about how if parents give into their children's whining and begging, the child will know that parents have a limit.
My parents never give in. Through all the reasoning and bargaining, their 'no' is a no.
How could one word have so much impact in my life?
It's just one word, 2 letters: one of the smallest phoneme there is.
So many say to appreciate my life, to appreciate the food and shelter that I do have.
I'm not living. I'm just existing.
Where is the love?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your parents are quite strict on you. But just another year and you'll be in college!

    ReplyDelete