Saturday, January 22, 2011

COMPRENDE?!

So this week we learned about language (:
& there's this video about this little boy saying the f word when he tries to say fire truck, which relates to what you said about kids not knowing that they're saying bad words.
It's really sad though because the parents make him repeat it . -____________- so not amusing.
ANYWAYS . We learned a little about language during AP Human so that kind of made me a little excited.
I thought it was really interesting how bilinguals are more creative, because my ex boyfriend whose Chinese knows NO CHINESE WHATSOEVER. & he is the most uncreative person I know.
I don't mean to brag, but I'm a pretty artistic person(; So is Sarah too!(: & a lot of people in Whitney have so many talents and it could all stem from knowing multiple languages, for my peers have pretty Asian parents and are forced to go to Chinese school & Korean school.
Euphemistic language also made me think a lot because it's almost as if people are afraid to face reality, and instead they try to sweeten things up so that they themselves don't feel bad. I volunteer at Artesia Christian Homes, and I go to the beauty shop a lot to help  out. One of the hairdressers,Ida, was talking to me about her husband. He has died around 4 years ago I believe, to cancer, and she complained how she hated how people say 'pass away' instead of died. She said," Why not just say died? I mean pass away or gone to a better place could mean anything. Did that person go to Alaska or something?" & she started laughing.
I , however, was shocked at how she joked about death. We were watching the Arizona shooting on CNN when she brought it up because the news reporters kept saying passed away.
I love how language brings the whole world together. Even though there are thousands of different languages, we can still translate and understand one another. That's the beauty of it all (:
& what really scared me was Genie, and how she couldn't speak or communicate. I thought she looked almost possessed. It was really scary seeing how...distant she was from the rest of the world.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you definitely are creative! And very good application of the week's learning to your life.

    ReplyDelete