Saturday, March 19, 2011

What's wrong with you?

This week we discussed mainly psychological disorders, but how many times have we self-diagnosed ourselves, thinking that we actually had something we didn't?
Many people, including myself, calls ourselves depressed or bipolar. But how much of that is true? Most likely.. none. We over exaggerate. I didn't know depression can only be called depression if it's like a 2 week period of being super sad. My dad was actually depressed, but he didn't know that he was called 'depressed'. He just had trouble concentrating and being active in tasks & was tired all the time. He went to the doctor and the doctor diagnosed him with depression. I mean, I've been really sad. Maybe at most for a month or 2, but I haven't been so sad that I can't function. Stupid breakups ruin my mood. I used to think I was bipolar until I learned that bipolar disorder had a manic stage. That kind of freaked me out, and I realized maybe I should stop diagnosing myself with silly things.
We also learned about autism and schizophrenia, and I think some of the kids & elderly that I work with have these. I volunteer for the City of Cerritos and there's this event called Tiny Tots where I pretty much babysit little kids. I see the smart kids, the quiet ones, the creative ones, and the...slow ones. I know this one kid doesn't have autism or anything, but he's just slow at learning. However, there are these 2 kids that I believe have issues. They don't speak, and they're around 4 or 5 years old. Whenever I call their names, they don't respond, even if I yell it. They can never sit down; they always have to get up. They can't write their names; they can't participate because they're in their own little world. & to me, it's really sad, and I really hope that they're just late bloomers. & at Artesia Christian homes,  there's a lot of elderly that have Alzheimer's and dementia. It's really hard to be patient with them because it's like they're 80 year old children, but I just got to stick it through.
Sometimes people ask, what's wrong with you? & all you can say is nothing, because that's how some people are born. Some are born different. Some are born weird. What matters is that people need to understand that some aren't as fortunate as others to be 'normal'.

2 comments: