Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflection.

This whole week has been more of a reflection than a lesson for me.
We learned about the development of humans, from childhood to adulthood. Having to write the human development essay as an assignment actually was a good exercise to help me reflect on my past.
Much of what makes me the person I am today is because of how I was raised.
Learning that being clingy is probably due to the anxious resistance as a baby actually makes sense to me. I remember not being encouraged or supported when I was little, and I realized that I'm really clingy to my friends & significant others. I always try to control them, & I have very bad trust issues. This is probably due to the fact that my parents always tried to control me & that whatever I did they never believed.
Another funny thing I learned is that motor skills in females develop faster than males. That would explain a lot because I was always ahead of the class in my early years. I always wondered why boys couldn't draw in the lines.
I find Erikson's stages of psychology pretty accurate, but not always because a lot of them don't apply to me. When we observed the children during that one time during class, I found it very interesting how the different playtime behaviors were pretty common. Taking this class has made me very interested in pursuing a career or degree in psychology because so much of it actually applies to our real lives.
Psychology can be used to teach our children & how to raise them to have them achieve the best that they can. My church on Fridays shows some videos on how to raise children, & I watched one & a lot of it deals with psychology. The video showed how kids that are abused actually develop slower, & that their brain actually is smaller than normal people. I vaguely remember learning that during class, & I was just amazed on how raising the perfect is all based on the parent's actions. The video also showed that how parents resolve conflicts is how the children will react because children mirror their role models.
Today during dinner I noticed that my mom was really negative about everything & I realized that that's why I'm so negative all the time. My friends & ex boyfriends always told me that I needed to look on the bright side, but all my life I've just been negative. I apply psychology to my everyday life now, & I find it so fascinating (:

2 comments:

  1. This is why the joke of "our parents mess us up" is so prevalent. It's true in some instances. But other people are able to defy that and live their own lives. It's hard to do that when you are surrounded by your parents, so that may be something you look forward to doing when you are out of the house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I think you would be a GREAT therapist. You are always very reactive (emotionally) to whatever it is we're doing. And I mean that in a good way: your attentive nature shows your empathetic skills.

    ReplyDelete