Saturday, November 20, 2010

Perception.

We all look at the world from different perspectives, creating our own unique & individual little world. No 2 people see from the same perspective, which is why many people end up seeing different things. Some people are colorblind, which is probably due to damaged cones. I am color blind in the brown/purple region. I found this out a month ago during history class when Mr. E. told us to look at the purple map and I thought it was brown. I was fascinated by this discovery. I knew a kid in art class that was color blind too, but he was a fantastic artist. In the book, we were supposed to read the section about colors, especially complementary colors. This caught my eye because I knew about this by heart because I used to take art class. This helped me automatically know the quiz answers.  Also, the picture about the after image reminded me of a TV episode in JAG. I discovered after imaging when I was younger because I used to stare off into space often & I would see the image again when I looked away, only fainter & in different colors. I thought that was strange & thought that I was really weird. The TV episode in JAG was about a pilot that was arrested because there was a death during an airplane flight. The man was supposed to jump off the plane and parachute down, but the person they blamed his death on was the man that was supposed to tell the other man when to jump down. After the trial, the timer guy was accused of innocence because he thought that he saw the light turn green ( which signaled when to tell the parachuter to jump ) , when in fact it could have been red. Because red & green are complementary colors, you see one as another as an afterimage. So the judge concluded that the death was accidental because the man could have just saw the after image of the red light & mistaken it was green.
Also, when I was little, I was shown the figure and ground pictures, where you could see figures as background and foreground. As an activity, we were assigned to make our own. I remember as an 6-8 year old girl that I found the assignment to be quite the challenge. To this day I still can't do it because it takes up way too much time to draw. I also used to draw cubes for fun, and often saw that the cube shifted perceptions. This happened pretty recently, & I started worrying because I thought something was wrong with me. After this lesson, I am happy to say that I am now relieved that this is all just psychological, as well much of my behavior. I'm ' introspecting '. In other words, I'm examining my own behavior now & I find psychology to be a fascinating topic . (:

2 comments:

  1. you are not colorblind -_- you just got it mixed up that one time. WHY DO YOU THINK YOU ARE COLORBLIND!!! D;

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha about Sarah's comment!
    Very nice use of introspection. =)

    ReplyDelete