Thursday, September 16, 2010

So we watched this clip by Katie Couric about how supposedly our brains are wired to be good people, to have morals & a conscience. That really caught my attention because it reminded me of God & how we're all made in the image of Him. God's heart is a good heart: it's pure and compassionate. I think this just proves that God exists because He shaped our hearts to be like his, & because scientists found evidence that people are born with a certain amount of goodness suggests that God really did create us. :O I'M NOT SURE IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT. I suck at explaining things. & after the clip I just was so amazed that these scientists can't see the relationship between their science & Christianity.
Then we were given an assignment to write to a US soldier about our lessons in Psych & I just felt so honored to be writing to someone that's risking their his/her life for my safety. When I get the chance to write to them, I'll write to them about everything(of course everything happy). I want them to feel like their not alone, like how I feel alot of the time even though I'm kinda not really not. I want them to feel like nothing bad is gonna happen, that they'll come back to America & be with their family for a long time. But the reality is that when they come back, they might suffer from PTSD. :/ I saw an episode of Lie to Me about someone who suffered from PTSD. The guy had a handgun in his room, & during a lightning/thunder storm, he thought that he was back in the war, fighting for his life. He told his kid to stay in his room, & when he went downstairs his kid sneaked up on him.  The father fired his gun, almost hitting the child. This guy suffered from PTSD, & he kept thinking someone was trying to kill him. Learning about PTSD really scared me because these veterans are roaming around the streets, lonely & scared & possibly suffering from PTSD. They could be dangerous & they need psychiatric help & no one's doing anything to help the people that are fighting for our safety.
Near the Cerritos Mall, I saw this homeless guy that held up a sign: Veteran. Hungry. My heart sank as we drove away from this man because after serving his country, his country did not serve him. Instead, we as Americans abandon them after their service, & I think it's so selfish of us. Why are we not protecting them from hunger & poverty when they protect us from being bombed out of existence? When I get a job, I will help every homeless person I can, & help fund for a foundation that takes care of veterans. AHHA , this sounds like the bargaining part of the 5 stages of PTSD.
Speaking of the stages of PTSD, I noticed that I also went through those stages during a very hard experience of my life. I got into trouble with the school, & first I tried to deny it like nothing was going to happen. & I remember praying to God (I was aethiest at that time) that if He really was there, He wouldn't get this guy expelled from the district & have his life ruined, but rather just get kicked out of Whitney & go to another school. After days of praying & crying, I promised to God that if He did so, I would become Christian. Lo and behold, I am a Christian now. 
Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tiffany,
    You explained the Christainity/empathizing brain quite nicely. (I got your drift =)
    What an interesting way to see it: "after serving his country, his country did not serve him". You're right. Many Vietnam vets were not given the appropriate services. I believe that now they make an effort to make psychological help available to veterans.
    What a great quote. People don't truly begin to heal unless they face their issues.
    Loved reading this, and looking forward to reading more next week. =)

    ReplyDelete